Title: Swordsmith Assassin #1
Publisher Name: BOOM!
Writer: Andrew Cosby and Michael Alan Nelson
Art: Ayhan Hayrula (Pencils) Andres Lozano’s (Colours)
$3.99, 24 pages, Color

Safety Content Label: T+ TEENS AND UP - Appropriate for most readers 13 and up, parents are advised that they might want to read before or with younger children.

Publishers Blurb:
Toshiro Ono has spent his life making the best swords that have ever been forged and selling them to the highest bidder. But when his family is killed by a blade of his own making… Toshiro will do whatever it takes to make sure none of his swords ever kill again. Andrew Cosby, creator of EUREKA, and Michael Alan Nelson, creator of HEXED, brings feudal Samurai Japan to life like no other comic has done before.

Reviewer Comments:
Andrew Cosby and Michael Alan Nelson have done it again. First they draw me in with Dead Run #1 then they hit me with a mean right hook with their latest joint effort “Swordsmith Assassin”

When I saw Swordsmith Assassin I jumped at it. I am a huge Samurai fan and just had to check this out. I’ve yet to find a Samurai based comic that lived up to those old Samurai movies I fell in love with as a kid (I was a weird kid…and still am). But this comic comes pretty damn close.

To be fair, this comic isn’t Samurai focused (at least not yet), although it does revolve around a piece of Samurai weaponry, the story focuses more on a skilled sword smith who has no battle skill whatsoever. But if I were to categorise this into a “genre” of sorts, I think Samurai works well, as it would appeal to any Samurai fan such as myself.

The concept and origins of this comic is just so good. I’m kicking myself for not coming up with it myself. The first issue is off to great start. We don’t get much action in the first issue, nor is it needed. I could quite happily read this as an ongoing series without any huge epic fight scenes, just to see how this emotional book unwinds. I have no doubt in my mind that we will see some epic sword fighting, and I’ll certainly get all fanboyish when it happens. But for now I’m happy with the pace it’s at and focussing on the touching story.

Ayhan Hayrula’s pencils are perfect and Andres Lozano’s colours only compliment them. The Artwork on this comic just suit’s the story down to a tee. It’s traditional, subtle, and almost aged looking, which gives you a great cinematic feel that almost makes you feel as though you’re watching an old movie. I’d even go as far as comparing it to some of my favourite movies in this “genre”. It’s as touching as Twilight Samurai and as gripping as Samurai Rebellion or even Seven Samurai, in my opinion.

I’m really excited to see where this comic is going, and hope it continues to go down the road it started on. I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’d recommend it to anyone, as it’s really worth taking a look at. I was genuinely angry when the issue came to a close. I can’t wait for the second issue.