Title: Impaler #4
Publisher Name: Top Cow Productions / Image
Writer: William Harms
Art: Matt Timson
$2.99, 32 pages, Color

Safety Content Label: PARENTAL ADVISORY - 15 years and older. Similar to T+ but featuring more mature themes and/or more graphic imagery.

Publishers Blurb:
This fresh, new take on the vampire mythos from International Horror Guild-nominated writer William Harms continues!

Victor learns the price for his miraculous recovery – vampires can no longer kill him. Vlad demands Victor’s eternal servitude as payment. In Washington, D.C., Lt. George Wagner and his men take refuge at the top of the Washington Monument, but things take a turn for the worst when one of Wagner’s own turns on him.

Reviewer Comments:
Impaler is one of those high concept books that runs the risk of settling to the bottom of the stack. A book about vampires by a team that I’m not really familiar with… I don’t know. But, Matt Timson’s art style brings this dreary realism that immediately haunts the reader. Somehow, Timson is able to cast a heavy dark mood and a feeling that the world is eroding while providing a bright, sympathetic clarity to potential victims of this catastrophe.

This is the first issue of this series that I’ve read, but I was able to jump right in without too much confusion thanks to the quick recap page. This is a fairly straightforward story, and the characters were immediately accessible. The excitement of this issue came from trying to guess who would live and die and from some original choices the creative team made.

Setting part of this issue in Washington, D.C. was a really great move. So many locations are overdone in these sorts of tales, and the idea of preparing for a showdown inside the Washington Monument was very fresh and original. The vampire story is notoriously difficult in finding original material to add to the genre, and writer Harms has successfully evaded the pitfalls of the generic.