1. NateSutton Guest

Publisher Website: BOOM! Studios

Writer: Giorgio Salati, Riccardo Secchi, Alessandro Ferrari
    Pencils: Artists: Ettore Gula, Roberta Migheli, Stefano Turconi & Antonello Dalena
    Number of pages: 24, With an 8 page back up story
    Price: 2.99
    Color: Color
    Safety Content Label: A - Appropriate for age 9 and up.

Publishers Blurb:
    "The third longest-running comic book series in Direct Market history hits its 700th issue! Right behind Detective and Action Comics, and logging more issues than Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, or Thor, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories enters a bold new era at BOOM! Kids -- with a bang! featuring a brand new team of super-heroes culled from Disney's Mickey and Donald universe, come adventure with The Duck Avenger, Super Goofy, and the man Mickey himself!"

Reviewer Comments:
    The 8 year old me had a great time with this comic. He was proud he was using his reading skills. He loved seeing all his favorite characters as super-heroes and enjoyed looking at all the cool drawings. The 8 year old me probably laughed himself to death when the ducks in the comic called their soda "quacka-cola". He probably went on repeating the word "quacka-cola" until his older brother punched him in the funny bone...but that probably didn't deter the eight year old me from continuing to read comic books. The eight year old me yelled "5 Stars!" when he finished this book.

The twenty two year old me.....didn't buy this. So zero stars i guess? (the twenty two year old me is a joyless cynical dude)

But that doesn't mean it's not worth writing about. Robert Kirkman (Invincible, Walking Dead) made the point not to long ago that he was not seeing many young comic book readers. He said he worried that when our generation of readers and writers left the medium that there would be no one to pickup where they left off....and in many ways he's right. A vast majority of comic books that are published today are geared to a teenage or older audience. All that makes me wonder where the next generation of readers will come from.

It's because of this that I have to commend Disney, Boom studios, and their kids line. With this line they are not only getting kids to read ( and look at pictures), but they are getting kids to appreciate the comic book as a story telling medium at an early age. Hopefully they will take this appreciation with them in becoming a new generation of comic book readers and storytellers. If you got kids...or plan on having kids...or know some kids...think about picking up this book for them. You never may start them down a career path.

So to re-cap...eight year old me can't stop saying "quacka-cola", and thinks this comic was five stars...and twenty two year old me is cynical and joyless and gave it a zero. A five star rating from eight year old Nate and Zero stars from twenty two year old Nate makes a three star rating.....I think. I'm not much better at math now than I was at eight....but at least I'm reading comic books.

Attached Thumbnails prv3826_cov.jpg  

2. annabcole Guest

"At least I'm reading comic books."

Are you, really? Comics and Stories #700 was promoted in advance as being a 24-page comic, but now that it's out, it's actually more like 40 pages, and contains a second special, commemorative story, "Close-Ups," by longtime Donald writer/artist William Van Horn, on top of the superhero story you discussed in your review.

You say nothing about the Van Horn story (which would certainly have appealed to 22-year-old you), you give the comic's page count as the old 24 pages, and you actually say nothing about the superhero story beyond obsessing over a single pun. I'm going to conclude you didn't actually read this comic book. Maybe you didn't even open it!

3. NateSutton Guest

I did indeed read this book and the back up story with the clever 4th wall breaking. The information I used as far as page count ect. was what was given to me in the solicit from boom studios. I know that it contained more pages than that, but I decided that I had better go with what was listed in the solicitation. I'm not sure why the solicit said 24 pages, but I figured that they wanted to promote the main story which was 24. I will make a note of the back up story in the page count. As for the review, I just tried to give my honest thoughts about the book. I apologize if you were offended in any way by the review, but if I was giving anything beyond my honest opinion it wouldn't really be a review. Thank you for taking the interest to comment and if you have any other comments or concerns i can be reached at

As for the solicit...this is what I was given to input into the information category's, it comes from the boom studios press site, which I was linked to by a boom studios representative on 11/16/09

Written by Giorgio Salati, Riccardo Secchi,
    Alessandro Ferrari
    Drawn by Stefano Turconi
    COVER A: Dwitt & Magic Eye studios
    COVER B: Corrado Mastantuono
    SC, 24 pgs, FC, SRP: $2.99