Thread: The Last Days of American Crime # 1 (of 3)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

The Last Days of American Crime # 1 (of 3)

Title: The Last Days of American Crime # 1 (of 3)
    Rating:
    Publisher Website: Radical Comics

Writer: Rick Remender
    Pencils: Greg Tocchini
    Inks:
    Colors:
    Number of pages: 64
    Price: 4.99
    Color: Color
    Safety Content Label: MAX: EXPLICIT CONTENT - 18 years old.

Publishers Blurb:
    In the not-too-distant future as a final response to terrorism and crime, the U.S. government plans in secret to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts. To keep this from the public, the government creates a distraction, installing a new currency system using digital charge cards.
    Enter: Graham Brick. A career criminal never quite able to hit the big score, Graham intends to steal one of the charging stations, skip the country and live off unlimited funds for the rest of his life. But the media has leaked news of the anti-crime signal one week before it was to go live...and now Graham and his team have just a few days to turn the crime of the century into the last crime in American history.

Reviewer Comments:
    THE LAST DAYS OF AMERICAN CRIME is simply brilliant. It's one of the best HEIST stories this side of the movies.

When the press leaks the U.S. Government's plans to broadcast a signal that makes all crime impossible a week before it goes online, riots ensue. All of the criminal elements are either out for that one last score, or fleeing to Canada or Mexico before the "good life" comes to an end.

One such hopeful is Graham Brick, who, along with Kevin Cash and Shelby Dupree, are out for the biggest score of them all...if they don't get killed first.

You've heard comics described as being "gritty and realistic" before, yes? Forget it. THIS is what's it suppossed to be like. You can actually feel the grit on these characters, smell the stale smoke and spilled beer. This is crime fiction at it's best. Remender totally immerses you in their world, and it's a hell of a ride. Tocchini's art is perfect. His use of color is bright and sharp without being clean or pristine. he literally shines a light into the dark recesses of society.

This is hands down one of the best comics I've read in EVER. Check it out.
    Attached Thumbnails lastdaysofac.jpg  

2. DVS Guest

You seem very impressed so I'll give it a try.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Do so, DVS! You will NOT be disappointed! This is one well crafted story with top-notch art. I can't wait for issue #2.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

4. DVS Guest

Do you get it sent to you for a review or do you get it from the publisher, or a 3rd party seller? I was just curious if you get things here at PFB from publishers to do reviews.

5. ChrisLawson Guest

I wouldn't call it one of the best comics in EVER, but it's definitely worth the 4.99. Interesting story and crazy-tight dialogue. Only complaint is that I didn't understand a few things about the backstory and world until I read a synopsis, but that might be intentional.

Check it out!

6. DVS Guest

Very impressive. Got me interested in Radical a little more than I was before, can't wait for the rest of this run to come out. It realy was good.