Thread: The Last Days of American Crime # 3 (of 3)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

The Last Days of American Crime # 3 (of 3)

Title: The Last Days of American Crime # 3 (of 3)
    Rating:
    Publisher Website: Radical Comics

Writer: Rick Remender
    Art: Greg Toochini
    Number of pages: 56
    Price: 4.99
    Color: Color
    Safety Content Label: PARENTAL ADVISORY - 15 years and older. Similiar to T+ but featuring more mature themes and/or more graphic imagery.

Publishers Blurb:
    Cover A- Alex Maleev
    Cover B- Greg Tocchini

The heist of the century is finally here. With his team together, his scheme in place and the score set, Graham, at long last, is ready to pull off the last and greatest crime in the history of the United States. But even if the plan goes off without a single hitch, what can he do when the American Government decides to activate their anti-crime broadcast during the job. Will the last day of American crime end with Graham and his team as millionaires, or will they spend the rest of eternity wondering where they went wrong?
    The stunning conclusion to the critically acclaimed miniseries written by Rick Remender (Punisher, Fear Agent) with art by Greg Tocchini.

Reviewer Comments:
    The only thing better than a mini-series that lives up to its potential in the last issue is a mini-series that blows well past that potential and into something truly great. The Last Days of American Crime is one of those mini-series.

With this final installment, Rick Remender leads us through a labyrinth of plot twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat from cover to cover. No small feat in a modern comic. Characters in this book change allegiances faster than the Italians in a World War. (It's Ok, my name is Sebastiano Francesco Piccione, I can make that joke).

Greg Tocchini's art is simply stunning. Fluid, energized, and filled with powerful yet subtle looks and glances. Yeah, Tocchini can successfully draw a dramatic pause. How great is that?

As the clock counts down to a mind-controlled crime free America, our "heroes" have to fight off gangs, the cops, and each other to pull off the ultimate heist. And while I won't tell you who's left with the bag, I will tell you that the big pay-off belongs to the readers.

So good, that I just checked off the trade in my Previews order book. This goes on the shelf!
    Attached Thumbnails Last Days #3 Cover B Tocchini.jpg   Last Days #3 Cover A Maleev.jpg  

2. BrandonBarrows Guest

I really wanted to like this series, because it's a great concept and I like Rick Remender's work generally, but I couldn't get past the art which did absolutely nothing for me.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandon, it's official...you're CRAZY! Tocchini has a great style! he reminds me of a young Gene Colon, fercryin'outloud! And he was a such a good fit for this book.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

4. BrandonBarrows Guest

I like what I like, and I did not like this art.

Maybe his work would look better in B&W (which Gene Colan's does) since you're making the comparison.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Still crazy.

His colors suit his style, and give everything a unique look that is both photo-realistic and stialized-cartoony at the same time.

So, yeah, I get that you like what you like, but you should like what I like! LOL!
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

6. BrandonBarrows Guest

Well, my favorite comic artists are varied, and I don't have a particular style I gravitate towards.