Publisher Website: BOOM! Studios

Writer: Paul Cornell
    Pencils: Javier Pina and Sergio Ariño
    Inks:
    Colors: Archie VanBuren
    Number of pages: 32
    Price: 3.99
    Color: Color
    Safety Content Label: T+ TEENS AND UP - Appropriate for most readers 13 and up, parents are advised that they might want to read before or with younger children.

Publishers Blurb:
    STAN’S BACK! THE PUBLISHING EVENT OF THE YEAR! Stan Lee, the most colossal force in the history of comics, teams up with BOOM! Studios to deliver a brand new line of superhero comics! The great innovator of our industry brings his inimitable talents back to the direct market in an explosive line of comics that nobody is prepared for! His epic superhero series with Paul Cornell (ACTION COMICS, DOCTOR WHO) and Javier Pina (SUPERMAN, BATMAN) continues in SOLDIER ZERO! Half man. Half alien. All weapon! Stewart Travers struggles to understand his Trauttmann power as he battles against an enemy alien force that has turned Earth into a battlefield!
    Diamond Code: SEP100887

Reviewer Comments:
    SOLDIER ZERO continues to charm and entertain. This issue centers around the relationship between Stewart, the suit, and Stewart's brother. Interestingly enough, both the suit and James want to protect Stewart, and neither seems all that interested in asking him if he wants/needs their form of protection.

We also have the suit learning to communicate with its new host and his brother, resulting in some scenes that are part BUMBLEBEE talking via radio in TRANSFORMERS and BATTY KODA yelling 'Change Channels" in FERNGULLY.

Yeah, I went there.

Anyway, Cornell makes the silliness work, proving an old trick just needs the right spin to succeed. We also meet a dark version of the suit, both in color scheme and in persona. Whereas Stewart's new parasite suit morns the loss of its former host, the evil guy kills it's former host when it upgrades to a local cop...whom it ALSO kills, as this version can inhabit the dead.

Charming, no?

This issue hita all the right beats, and covers all the right bases. We're still in the set-up phase of story, here, but that doesn't mean things aren't moving. It's like being on a roller coaster, sure things slow down when you're being wenched up that mega-huge incline, but you can see the drop and all the loops coming, so you're psyching yourself out the whole time.

Again, my liking this book surprises me, as I'm not a big fan of Cornell's other works. (I just dropped ACTION COMICS from my pull list at my LCS). But everything in this book just works, and I find at myself getting to the end all too quickly.

If you missed issue #1, get it, then read this. It's worth getting in on.
    Attached Thumbnails SoldierZero_02_Page_1.jpg