Thread: EARP: SAINTS FOR SINNERS # 1 (of 5)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

EARP: SAINTS FOR SINNERS # 1 (of 5)

Title: EARP: SAINTS FOR SINNERS # 1 (of 5)
    Rating:
    Publisher Website: Radical Comics

Writer: M. Zachary Sherman and Matt Cirulnick
    Pencils: Mack Chater, Martin Montiel, and Colin Lorimer
    Inks:
    Colors: Kyushik Shin
    Number of pages: 72
    Price: 5.99
    Color: Color
    Safety Content Label: MAX: EXPLICIT CONTENT - 18 years old.

Publishers Blurb:
    In a world where the American economy has collapsed, bandits roam the country and the law is as corrupt as the criminals its sworn to stop, one lawman remains a steadfast moral compass for the people: WYATT EARP. After a violent assignment claims the life of his brother, Wyatt sets out to forge a simple life in the only boomtown left: Las Vegas. Though Earp no longer wears a U.S. Marshall’s badge, his past is about to catch up to him. With nearly everything to lose, Earp will
    have to beat the odds stacked against him in order to bring old-fashioned justice to Sin City.

Reviewer Comments:
    As a man who watches TOMBSTONE religiously, I take my Wyatt Earp adaption’s seriously. So, if you wanna ignore my praise of this book, well...you're daisy if you do.

The story is interesting, the concept (a not-too-distant future, where economic strife has toppled society, and Las Vegas is the only "Boom Town" left) is clever, the pacing is high octane, and the art is gorgeous.

What more can you ask of a comic?

Oh, yeah, Sam Raimi was impressed enough to option the film rights, so this is your chance to get onboard at the beginning and be one of those "The comic was SO much better than the movie" snobs, and look down your nose and the masses on opening night.

You know you want to.

So, this dark future sees NYPD Wyatt Earp and his partner, Doc Holliday assigned to a task force that brings in society’s worst offenders...the celebrity crook. Bank robbers and hustlers have become the rock stars of their time, especially the elusive Jesse James. But, when Doc quits, Wyatt calls in his brothers. The Earps are SO good at what they do, they get promoted to Federal Marshalls...but things get worse from there, and a tragic loss leaves Wyatt exhausted, and ready to start living for a change.

The frame work is very similar to the major points in Wyatt's real life, though there are many necessary changes with this kind of sci-fi western story. Plus, the addition of Jesse James and even such fictional characters as Butch and Sundance (in a newspaper cameo) remind you that Cirulnick and Manpearl are having fun with this.

These days it's very rare and very difficult to do something no one has done before, so EARP: SAINTS FOR SINNERS doesn't try to do what no one has done before, but it DOES succeed at taking something that HAS been done before and doing it VERY differently.

Granted, some of the dialogue is almost EXACT with TOMBSTONE, but since TOMBSTONE is most of what I know about Wyatt Earp (I could never make it through Costner's WYATT EARP) I'm ok with that.

What REALLY impresses me about this book is that, it just reads like a great story. I mean, as a sci-fi western it could very easily have fallen short of either, or felt too much like one or the other. But it doesn't. It reads like its own thing.
    And that's impressive on its own.
    Attached Thumbnails earpcover1.jpg  
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Monday, January 10, 2011 at 03:40 AM.

2. Thorne Guest

Sounds pretty cool, I thought this was about Wynonna Earp at first. /sad

3. BrandonBarrows Guest

I read it for CBN, but chose not to review it because while it was a good read and I did enjoy it, I didn't find it terribly original.

I noticed the same thing about Tombstone; it seems the comic just transposed the plot and some of the dialogue into a more modern (extremely light sci-fi) setting.